Sunday, September 2, 2007

Vols Drop Cal Game

Things looked bad from the start for the Vols. Worrell Williams returned a fumble 44 yards for a score just 1:51 into the game, putting the Vols down 7-0 right out the gate. DeSean Jackson lived up to his preseason All-America hype by returning a punt 77 for another score. Fulmer said “We gave ‘em, or they earned, 14 points. And then we didn’t tackle well. And with all that said, at 38-31 early in the fourth quarter, we had a chance to win the ballgame and didn’t get it done.’’





The Vols scores came off a Montario Hardesty rushing touchdown. Also, Chris Brown caught two touchdown's from Ainge who had a 271 yard three TD night despite an injured finger.



When asked about the Deseason Jackson return Fulmer had this to say “We tried to punt the ball out of bounds and didn’t get it all the way over there.’’



Defensive lineman, Xavier Mitchell went down to injury in the game and we will have more as it breaks. Stay here for more information later in the week.



All in all the game ended Cal-45 Tennessee- 31.





Tennessee (0-1) plays Southern Mississippi next Saturday in Knoxville.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I tell ya. I saw a ton of effort and a ton of hustle and decent conditioning. What I did not see was something that has been sorely lacking for several years, and that was fundamentally sound pass coverage and tackling. Thats John Chavis. I said it at the Peach Bowl, and a dozen times since. I am a VOL through and through but I just can't get behind Chavis. We need a defensive coordinator.....BIG time.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I know we caught a bad break or two. I also know that the fact is we didn't get any help from the O-crew. No slap at Cal, they are a very good team. But on the punt return, I counted three blocks in the back and two of them were squarely in front of officials. Several other potential game-changing plays were not accomplished, including a couple of clear-cut intereference calls with the game on the line at 38-31. I aint whining, just speaking the truth. If we get just a couple of the calls we should, it's a new game. But, fact remains, this is another Chavis defense that can't tackle and can't cover the air attack...classic Chavis soft zone that is going to get eaten alive again. Why can't we find a DC with some teeth?

Anonymous said...

I'll say this right now, we played what will be a solid top five team in Cal. We scored 31 on he road in a hostile environment. That ought to buy you a win anywhere. Why didn't it? Ask John Chavis.

Sports Fan said...

So you all agree the problem is Chavis?

Getting to the Game

Whenever I need Tennessee Volunteers football tickets, I find myself at Front Row King, a great place for cheap college football tickets!